Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Nursing a broken heart

I am sorry that I have been slack with Blogland lately.

My papa passed away on Friday after 81 years. He died a peaceful death after being considerably ill for many years. His family was surrounding him and he simply closed his eyes and passed away.

As hard as it is to see my Papa gone - it is harder watching my Grandma nurse her broken heart. She has lost her best friend, her soul mate, her husband. The first thing she said when she saw me after Papa's passing was 'We had known each other for 65 years - married for 59'.

65 years - what an achievement. Grandma is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. I look at her with the utmost respect and class her as my #1 role model. The road has been so tough for her - marrying young to her parent's negativity, working hard to keep her family afloat, nursing her son who was tragically burnt from a jug of boiling water, being a mother, being a wife, being a sister, and a daughter. She has graced ALL her jobs in life with such love and adoration for all her family. And not a small family either - she has 5 children, 16 grandchildren and 7 great-grandchildren. And even while her heart is breaking after Papa's passing - she still has enough energy and sunshine to smile at us, kiss us, hug us and tell us how much she loves us.

So yes, this post should be about my Papa - but instead this situation has shone the sunlight on my beautiful Grandma. Through the clouds and the mist - she is still able to find the sunshine...what an inspiration.

1 comment: